Monday, September 12, 2016

Day 19 &20- Experimenting with food

Spending time back in my hometown was nice, got to spend some time with family and friends. I think they were surprised how well I'm recovering. Lots of questions about my diet and struggles I'm having. Questions too about the procedure that I under went and I can't really explain it other than they cut the bone and moved it forward. So I've started just giving them the actual procedure name for them to google it: bilateral sagittal split osteotomy.

My mom helped me eat some alphagetti when I went to her house. It took about 40 minutes to eat maybe a cup worth and was super messy. I had to eat each little pasta letter individually even with my elastics off. My mom also made me some sweet potatoes. Microwaved the potato for a couple of minutes and then mashed it up with some nutmeg and my ensure supplement drink. For breakfast she mushed up some banana and peanut butter with milk and yogurt. So I've graduated from totally blended liquid diet to squished/mashed food. I'm grateful I've got that gap in my teeth, it helps a lot to get the food in.

Going grocery shopping with my mom was really useful, I told her how I'm usually too tired to prepare a whole meal for myself and eat it afterwards. So we looked at a lot of food that is super easy to prepare. Got myself some instant mashed potatoes, beets, flavoured tofu (dessert ones are delicious) and some childern's liquid advil to help with my head pain.

I've noticed when I'm experiencing head pain especially around/in my ears I'm sensitive to loud sounds and changes in elevation - I don't know if others have experienced this.

The second elastic I'm supposed to wear that goes all the way to back of my teeth has become nearly impossible to change and put new ones on each day. I don't know how the surgeon thought I could get back there everyday and do it. The inside of my mouth is swollen and weird from all that is going on in there. The hooks are so close to my gums the struggle to get the elastics on isn't worth it. So this weekend I've only been wearing one on each side. Maybe I'll call the ortho and tell them about the struggles, if it is that important to wear two elastics on each side.
Widest I can hold my mouth open with elastics off


No comments:

Post a Comment