Sunday, August 28, 2016

Surgery day- after the knife

After the slicing, the next thing I remember is laying in bed raising my hand to ask nurse if my parents were coming and saying that I had to pee.
I got wheeled to another room with 6 or 7 other same day post surgery patients with 2 nurses to watch the unit. Most of this is a blur. I was hooked up to an IV with morphine delivery on a button. I also had oxygen for my nose and a sucker like what they have at the dentist. I'm also wearing a ice pack head band


My throat is sore and dry. "Eating" helps. Doctors say it's from having a tube down my throat for surgery. My bottom lip to the end of chin is numb and partly my tongue. I'm talking pretty good even wired shut with elastics but I'm obviously high my pupils are dilated. Feels weird to have my upper teeth and bottom teeth to touch. I chat for bit with Curtis and my parents but I'm groggy and drifting in and out. Also peeing in a bed pan is straight up no fun.

The rest of the night consisted of trying to sleep but there was a patient in the unit who snored louder than anything I've ever heard. Every time I'd be about to sleep the snoring would wake me. Ear plugs weren't really an option since I had the ice packs covering my cheeks and ears.  

When I did fall asleep I was fast to wake up as  I could feel the blood starting to pool and possibly cause a mess. Time to sucks it out. I also noticed my left corner of my mouth is sore. I guess I was ramming the suckered and syringes a bit to hard. I'll have to be more careful of my new face even if I can't feel it all. 

I mostly played on my phone and tried to be comfy. The night time nurse staff was amazing. Anything I need they helped and very quickly. They started to wheel me to the bathroom instead of bedpan which was much better. I was using my handy dandy morphine button thoughout the night. When I did sleep it felt like 5 hours had gone by when reality it had only been maybe 2 if I was lucky.  

It was a tough day but it got better next morning ðŸ˜Š 

No comments:

Post a Comment